Prasarita Padottanasana / Wide-Legged Forward Bend variation
(Variation with chair and blocks)
* Place a chair in front of a high bench with its back closest to the high bench (i.e kitchen work top)
* Place blocks on to the chair seat at mid thigh height and a neatly folded blanket on top. (adjust higher or lower as appropriate)
* Face the chair seat with the back farthest from you.
* Place the hands on to the top of the high bench/ table rest with palms facing one another with little finger side of the hand facing down.
* Step the feet back from the chair and wide from each other
* Place the hips above the ankles (ankles are fractionally farther back than your hips).
* Rest the forehead on the lift on the seat.
* Lift the knee caps up and pull the top of the thigh bones back.
* Pull the front body towards the chair in opposition to the legs.
* Keep the side ribs in and breast bone forwards.
* If the back is dipped and ribs jut towards the floor, make sure that the shoulders are not overstretched at the back.
* Ensure that the little finger side of the hands are parallel to the floor.
* If the back is humped up towards the ceiling increase the height of the lift (and chair back if possible).
* Stretch the front body forwards.
* Legs backwards.
* Keeps the outer hips in and inner groins up.
DURATION: 10 to 20 breaths.
* Come up by walking towards the chair.