Utkata = powerful, mighty
* Stand with your feet together (can be done with the feet a little way apart where hips are wide or inner thighs bulky)
* Ensure that the toes are level and not turning out.
* Raise arms on an inhalation
* Inhale, lift the arms, both palms facing inwards towards one another, from the hip joints to fingertips, shoulder-width distance (closer, if there is a deep drawing in and opening of the mid-upper mid-back). The elbows should not bend as this drops the weight and makes the pose heavy, instead shoulder tightness is alleviated through more extension of the spine
* Pull the sitting bones down, pulling down on the waist.
* Drive side and back ribs in and extend upwards, creating lightness to the waist as it is pulled from two directions.
* Keep legs even (if together pressing into one another)
* Draw the hip joints in and lift the inner groins
* Stretch the lower back as if holding onto pull-up bar, extending the buttocks down as if to sit on a piano stool
* Keep the head in a normal relationship to the trunk as when standing looking forwards.
DURATION: Stay for 5 to 15 breaths or about 30 seconds.