Bharadvajasana / Bharadvaja’s Twist
* Sit on a block or neatly folded blanket
* Place your legs in Dandasana
* Bending your knees bring both legs round to your left hip.
* Tuck your right foot under your left so that the feet form a cross (left toes pointing behind you, left ankle crossed over right arch, right toes pointing left).
* Allow the legs time and space to settle and to release any gripping held in them through the breath.
* Draw the lumbar spine in and up drawing the sacrum perpendicular to the floor as you do.
* Keep left thigh and hip weighty and lift from groins to chest as you turn to the right.
* Bring your left across both legs and press the palm into the side of the right leg
* Place your right hand cupped on the floor behind you.
* Do not raise left leg or hips, remain lifting as you turn waist chest and head to the right.
To deepen the pose
• Gauge the amount you lift by the level of release in breath and legs and the amount you turn by the amount you lift.
• Tuck left fingers under right thigh with the palm facing the floor keep pressing into your right fingers cupped on floor behind you.
• Lift the right hand maintaining the lift and take hold of left bicep (or use belt to bridge the gap).
• Sucking in the body towards central core from where you lift and turn.
Repeat for side two