Pascimottanasana / intense west stretch
* Sit with legs together and extended straight in front of you. (If hamstring muscles are tight and lower back feels compressed then sit on a block or neatly folded blanket.)
* Draw the flesh of the buttocks out and back behind you.
* Place your hands by your hips with the fingers pointing towards the toes.
* Draw the spine upright from the floor bringing the sacrum (back of pelvis) perpendicular to the floor as you do so.
* Allow the shoulders to descend as the spine ascends.
* Look evenly ahead keeping the breast bone and rib cage raised.
* Stretch your side ribs up from the hips and reach for your feet or bridge the gap with a belt.
* Keep the top of your thigh bones down and heels broad and extended.
* Draw the knee caps up suck in outer hips
* Lift the front of your spine from the front groins to breast bone.
* Suck the side ribs in as you extend side ribs into the armpits
* Inhale extend front body up and over legs contracting front thighs as you extend.
* Rest torso on legs. (Alternatively have a chair with the seat facing you over your legs and reach up for the top of the back support resting head onto folded blanket on seat).
* Keep heels broad hips in and spine long.
* Breathe and allow the mind to quieten.
* Stay for anything from 10-50 breathes.
those with inflamed or vulnerable Sacroiliac joints or mid to late term pregnancy should extend to chair as advised.