Adho Mukha Svanasana / down face dog (hands and heels on blocks, hands at wall, feet wide)
VARIATION: Hands and heels on blocks, hands at wall, feet wide.
- Place yoga mat with its narrow end to a wall.
- Take two yoga blocks (or firm large books) and place them against the wall to the outer edges of the mat.
- Place two blocks about three quarters of the way back on the mat, mat width apart.
- Place the palms on the blocks with fingers turned out so that the thumbs and index fingers are able to push into the wall.
- Step the feet back so that the heel bones can be lowered onto the blocks.
- Push the hands against the wall and lengthen the back of the body away from the wall.
- Draw the side ribs in and stretch the front of the body towards the wall.
- Lift the knee caps up and draw the top of the thigh bones and the hips away from the wall, in sync with the front body’s movement towards it.
- Maintain the stretch whilst releasing the crown of the head towards the floor.
- Let the brain become passive and allow the breath to find a deeper rhythm.
- Stay for 10 to 20 breaths and descend to your hands and knees then to heel sitting, for a further 5 to 10 breaths.